Monday, January 12, 2009

The Trilogy of the Airconditioned Jeepney

The Airconditioned Jeepney (Part 1)

I was intent on getting that airconditioned jeepney to work this morning. Everyday, I’d take my second ride to the office along Buendia Avenue a few meters from the corner of Roxas Boulevard. I had four choices: an airconditioned bus, an airconditioned jeepney, a taxi or a regular jeepney. Not wanting to get to work “harassed and perspiring”, the regular jeepney was never really an option. A taxi was fast, but costly, while the airconditioned bus would drop me off either way before, or way after my actual stop. The airconditioned jeepney, however, would drop me off a few meters from my building, and would have fewer stops, and would be comfortable – at a very cost efficient, uh, cost.

So I looked far down the road at the oncoming traffic from the Makati side of town. I was hoping to spot that airconditioned jeepney way before it made its u-turn so that I would be at the exact spot that it stopped every day to make sure I got a good seat – right behind the driver. I strained my eyes and neck searching for the telltale domed-roof of the airconditioned jeepneys, blue or yellow – it didn’t really matter which colored jeepney I took, as long as I saw it and didn’t miss it. There were only two or three of them, so I had to make sure I spotted it so that I wouldn’t miss it.

And there it was! And there it went! The airconditioned jeepney that I was so intent on waiting for actually went pass me. And the seat behind the driver was empty! My seat was empty! I was so shocked by the quickness of events that I swear I felt my heart skip a beat, and I had shortness of breath. How could this have happened? I was watching every single vehicle that came from Makati I was certain I wouldn’t miss the airconditioned jeepney before it even made the u-turn to get on my side of the road. How could this have happened?

This happens a lot to Christians. We sometimes find ourselves so engrossed on one thing or another, that we actually miss it when it passes us by. Sometimes tend to become so intent on one goal, that we miss the actual prize when it comes our way. God wants us to be vigilant, but not blinded by the feeling of vigilance. He wants us to watch, for we know not the time nor the place, but he wants us to wait on Him at all times… and from all directions. Sometimes we think that we are being properly watchful and vigilant, when in reality, we have actually closed ourselves to other revelations that God may be waiving right in front of us – all because we are afraid of missing that which we seek. I was looking in just one direction, comfortable at the thought that I wouldn’t miss the goal, that I failed to notice that the prize was coming from another direction.

Tomorrow, I’ll look both ways. Today? I took the bus – and the ten minute walk to the office building gave me time to reflect on this day’s experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment