Monday, January 12, 2009

The Trilogy of the Airconditioned Jeepney: Part III

The Airconditioned Jeepney (Part 3)

Here I am again. Thank God it’s Friday. And, as soon as I got off the bus, I spied not one, but two (count ‘em, TWO!) airconditioned jeepneys parked right across the street. They were on the other lane, yes, but they were THERE!

And I kept watch as an eagle watches its’ prey… very intent. They were obviously parked, waiting to be dispatched in my direction to provide the teeming masses with the much needed comfortable yet cost-efficient means of public transport that would offer them a relaxing ride amidst the concrete jungle and roadways known as the Makati Central Business District. If they moved as much as an inch, I would know.

Buses passed and blocked my view for a fleeting instance, but as soon as the obstruction passed, I would lock onto my target again. I could hear the voices in my head: “I’ve got a visual…” (Beep) “I’m locked on…” (Beep) “Missiles armed and ready to engage…” (Beep).

All I needed was the “GO” signal – the slightest movement – and I’d be trailing the airconditioned jeepney’s path till it stopped right in front of me. I was getting on the airconditioned jeepney TODAY.

Suddenly, I spotted the familiar figure of a domed roof pull away from the curb – on my side of the road. It was parked behind an ordinary jeepney that was parked less than 10 meters from where I stood. It was waiting for passengers. While I watched the two other jeepneys, this airconditioned jeepney was waiting for passengers not 10 meters from me – on my side of the road. Things suddenly went into slow motion (again, three times in three days – this was getting to be a habit), as I watched helplessly while the white, airconditioned jeepney moved into the farthermost portion of the northbound lane – well beyond my reach as I couldn’t just rush into traffic to stop it. It was in front of me now… and in a few moments, it was well on it’s way past FB Harrison running a nice, smooth course for the CBD of Makati.

My heart skipped a beat – again. I gasped for air – again. I missed the airconditioned jeepney. Again. Pathetically, for a third time.

It happens. We spot our target. We see what we think we want. We set our hearts on it.

And then we miss that which is meant to be.

That which God has meant for us.

“Okay Lord, I get it. I’m usually a stubborn person – that much I’m sure of.”

“Oh, and, by the way, thanks for this comfortable bus I’m riding in now.”

No comments:

Post a Comment