Monday, January 12, 2009

The Trilogy of the Airconditioned Jeepney: Part II

The Airconditioned Jeepney (Part 2)

So there I was once again. And this time, I had learned from yesterday’s experience. I stood my ground steadfastly and faithfully, and I positioned myself on a spot on the sidewalk on the northbound lane of Buendia from where I had a clear view in both directions. I could see far down the southbound lane and far down the northbound lane. Today, I wasn’t going to miss that airconditioned jeepney.

I scanned the southbound lane as far as my sights could reach – no airconditioned jeepney. I turned my head, and scanned the northbound lane for that same airconditioned jeepney. Still nothing in sight.

It went on this way for the next few minutes: look far down the southbound lane, then turn my head and look far down the northbound lane. I wasn’t going to miss the airconditioned jeepney whether it came from the north or the south.

On my next reconnaissance, I had just used my x-ray vision to look as far down the southbound lane as possible, eyeing each of the vehicles coming from the Makati side of town and I was now turning my head to look far down the northbound lane up to way past the intersection of Buendia and Roxas Boulevard, when the familiar outline of an airconditioned jeepney passed me by – and sped away into the direction I was going. Things suddenly slowed down… I could hardly breathe… my heart skipped a beat… every sound was dulled out… everything moved in slow motion… everything, but the airconditioned jeep that I had missed. Again.

This time, I looked in both directions. I watched every single vehicle way down the northbound and southbound lanes. How could I have missed this one jeep?

I guess I was looking too far.

Sounds familiar? God doesn’t want his people to have problems – we have enough of our own. So he usually places the answer in front of us. We just have to look – not always “farther away”, but with “far greater faith”. We need not look far into the future – nor must we look far into the past. God deals with the here and now. The answers are usually right in front of us – we just often don’t look properly enough. It’s one thing to be vigilant and watchful, it’s a far different thing to be vigilant and watchful with faith in your heart. That way the answer that is usually right in front of us – but not always in the form or manner we want it to be – becomes obviously clear. When we learn to look with faith, then we don’t have to worry about trying to catch the answer as it passes us by.

I took the bus. Again.

No comments:

Post a Comment