Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Love Knows No Boundaries

Here is yet another story I have shared countless times before, but which I believe we can still learn from.

In the summer before my third year of high school (year deleted to protect my age), I became friends with a "phone pal" I had. Her name was simply, "KC".

KC and I grew fond of each other. We met each other, and just hit it off. We didn't see each other often, as she lived in Cavite while I lived in Las Pinas. Even phone calls were limited as she either called me long distance or on a public telephone. Calls were so rare that to talk over the phone twice or thrice a week was a treat. Needless to say, meeting up was a rare event too.

Well, as most young people then, our fondness grew more until we came to a point when we had a "mutual understanding" of our feelings for each other. And we were open with our feelings.

One night, a Friday, we were about to end out conversation when KC said: "TJ, never forget that no matter where you are, or who you're with - for as long as you're with God, I will always be with you" (she was a Born Again). I was so touched that I could only mutter a pathetic "Same here" - or something like that. We agreed to meet Monday afternoon, and we put down the phone.

Monday came, and she didn't show up at our meeting place. I didn't receive a phone call the rest of the week and over the weekend. And then the next week started.

Then Wednesday came. The phone rang and it was KC's elder sister. "TJ", she began, "Mama told me it would be best to tell you now". I was sure that KC, who was still not allowed to have a relationship, was found out and scolded by her mom.

"KC is dead". She was rushed to the hospital on Monday, the day we were supposed to meet. And she died on the Wednesday after that.

I was dumbfounded - to say the least.

When I met KC, I knew she had brain cancer. And I was told that she had a year to live. Her parents didn't want her hurt, hence the strictness against relationships. But her sister told me that the few months that KC and I had known each other were the happiest months KC ever had.

I was crushed. How could God take away someone I loved - just like that? My pain showed in my grades when I began third year, when my grades just went down the drain. No one knew of my failing grades except my teachers and my parents. No one.

My teacher talked to me about my grades, and I told her what was bothering me. She said something that changed my outlook in life -- and about death.

"If you say you love her, do you think she is happy seeing that her death has caused you so much misery that it is ruining your life?" (to a student, your grades ARE your life). "If you love her, show her that you can carry on with the happy memories you had together -- that would make her happy".

And so I did. I re-focused. And by the second quarter, I had revived my grades.

The Saturday right after the end of the second quarter, I found myself home alone. It was 1:00 in the afternoon, and I was busy with house chores. The phone rang. I went to pick it up.

"TJ", came a familiar voice on the other end of the phone. "How are you?"

I was angry. This was not a good joke. It couldn't be real. I went to visit her grave. I saw her grave. But it was her voice.

"TJ... this is KC".

Before I could rant and rave, she started mentioning things that only KC and I could know. And then she recited a poem which she wrote just for me. And then I knew: it WAS KC.

"Where are you?" I whispered.

"I don't know... but I am happy here.

"I called to tell you that I am happy that you have regained your grades - that you have overcome this trial.

"I called to tell you that God is happy too, and that you should never forget that He loves you.

"I can never call again. Take care. Bye..." The line went dead.

And she was gone. She has never called back since.

I already knew that the Lord loved me. I already knew that He would never bring me to a point in my life from which I could not get up again. I knew He watched over me, and that if He brought me to it - He would bring me through it.

But for some time, in my grief and hurt - I forgot all this. And I almost wasted my life (and grades) away. It took someone from the dead to remind me of the life I had in Christ.

The love of God knows no boundaries -- and it is the only thing that will get you -- and I -- over any hurdle life puts in our way.

Never forget that God loves you and sees you and takes care of you.

Or you might just get a call from beyond.

No comments:

Post a Comment